Benefits of Celery According to Ayurveda


Celery according to Ayurveda



In Ayurveda, celery is one of the most valuable vegetables, especially for Kapha, as its a strong diuretic, helping to detoxify stagnant water weight in Kapha individuals.

Aside from Ayurveda, celery is already acknowledged as a negative calorie food, making it a perfect snack for dieters, and the health conscious. 

Other than that celery is packed with numerous vitamins. Eating celery benefits the stomach and spleen/pancreas, as well as calms an aggravated liver.  Being light and easy to digest, celery stimulates and actually improves digestion. Its roughage scrapes away excess mucus that may be plaguing your digestive tract. However, the benefits don't stop there!

Celery opens your sweat glands which is important for detoxification. It also contains compounds that relax the muscles that surround your arteries, allowing blood vessels to dilate.  Celery is a blood purifier which improves circulation, reduces lymphatic stagnation, and aids detoxification.   It is also known to reduce conditions such as vertigo and nervousness.

It will also aid heat excesses in the body, such as eye inflammations, burning urine, acne and mouth ulcers and to cool internal heat in the liver and stomach, which often contributes to headaches and excessive appetite.

Not only has it already exceeded in its benefits, it also contains high amounts of fibre and electrolytes.

Celery burns up Ama (toxins) while building the digestive fire of Agni. Also great for hypertension, this stalky vegetable lowers blood pressure by removing excess water and thus lowering overall blood volume.

What about Celery Juice?

Celery Juice is not recommended in Ayurveda, as taking it on an empty stomach affects Agni (digestive fire) which we need to assist our energy levels. Also juicing removes the necessary fibre required. As a suggestion, taking the celery juice first thing in the morning, and then exercising would help to ignite the digestive fire. In turn assisting healthy digestion. 
If you are taking blood thinners, allergic to latex, or prone to kidney stones, or cystitis, then you should probably skip the celery juice! Always seek medical advise if you are trying something new, or unsure if you have a condition that changing your diet might affect.

The Benefits of Celery:
  • Improves Digestion
  • High in Vitamin K
  • Full of Fibre
  • Contains Electrolytes
  • Reduces excess water & fluid
  • Blood purifier 
  • Diuretic 
  • Aids detoxification
  • Improves circulation 
  • Anti-inflammatory for eye, burning urine, acne, mouth ulcer, and the liver

My Celery Juice Diary

Let  me start with that while I am supportive of Ayurveda, and it is a major part of my lifestyle. However, if there is one thing studying Ayurveda taught me was that it encourages you to know your own body, and to be intuitive to what you are feeling and thinking.
Despite, Ayurveda not recommending doing celery juice on an empty stomach in the morning, which makes sense, but I kept kept messages coming through in my thoughts that I should try to give it a go, that it might just be what my body needs to remove the toxins I could feel were building up in my body.
In India I have completed Panchakarma and Basti Treatments, and with complete success of eliminating these toxins. I've lost weight in the process, and my daily elimination has returned to a regular two times a day protocol, which if we are consuming 3 or more meals a day, is the correct amount that should occur each day!

The first week

I treat my body as an experiment when it comes to adjusting my diet, or knowing how to treat myself for common minor ailments. This has been a work in progress over the years and with a little bit of trial and error, I've come to create a very simple formula for my food intake as well as medical conditions that do not require a doctor. Please note, that in no way am I encouraging you to do the same, and I advise seeking a medical professional opinion before starting anything new to your diet.
Before I studied Ayurveda, there is no way I would've had the confidence to understand my own body and what it needed. It is indeed intuitive healing that I have learnt.
Now lets get back to the juice! In the first few days I didn't really feel any difference, except maybe more frequent urination. I stopped it for a week or so then restarted. On the first day, I felt a little sick in my tummy, but nothing too bad. 
Subsequently, the following few days, I started to notice that I was urinating more, and after day 5, I was back to my usual elimination routine. Which, ultimately was my goal, because I know when I am in that optimum health that my body reduces inflammation and edema. 
Since then I am noticing higher levels of energy as well as waking up earlier than my alarm (before sunrise) which is definitely not something I've seen since COVID lockdown began. 

The second week

I've noticed that the edema in my hands, legs, and feet has gone. My energy has definitely increased, which probably has a lot to do with my stools have becoming a nice shade of green! A sign that wastage is coming out as the celery works! TMI? I did say I was a walking experiment! 

Note: I am only drinking approx 100ml in the morning on an empty stomach but exercising after.

I'll write about the following weeks as they occur, but so far I am definitely seeing positive results. However, another thing Ayurveda taught me, is that food is medicine. Therefore once I feel as if the celery juice has taken its course, and worked to the capacity I need, I will then cease to do take it. I may return to it, should my body crave it, or instinctively tell me its time to use it again.

The third & fourth week

I would say that based on my own health understanding of my body and food that this definitely worked for me and that I saw big noticeable results in my energy and toxin removal. I would only advise others to do this under the guidance of a practitioner who has an understanding of detoxification methods.



Read more about celery juicing here 

Comments